If you are in the vicinity of JR Kōenji Station on the last weekend of October, you will be able to watch and take part in the Kōenji Festival.
Unlike the mammoth Awa Odori Festival in summer, the “Kōenji Fes” is quite community focused with lots of food, music, and activities for the kids. It bills itself as one of “THE BIG 4″ festivals in Kōenji — surely reason enough to check it out.
There will be a kaleidoscope of separate events but these are ones you shouldn’t miss:
- Live Pro-Wrestling: That’s right. There will be a special ring set up on the north side of Kōenji Station to watch wrestlers — women and men — battle.
- GuruMyu: Live music and DJ events will happen throughout Kōenji and Shin-Kōenji. No entry fee but one drink order required.
- Awaodori, samba, and wadaiko: Along Kōenji Look Shopping Street (just beyond the main PAL Shopping Street), there will be many performances on both days.
- Awaodori along PAL Shopping Street.
- Kōenji Beer Festival at Kōenji Apartment.
- and a curry battle across Suginami-ku.