If you are in the vicinity of JR Koenji Station on the last weekend of October, you will be able to watch and take part in the Koenji Festival.
Unlike the mammoth Awaodori Festival in summer, the “Koenji Fes” seems to be quite community focused with lots of food, music and activities for the kids. It bills itself as one of “THE BIG 4″ festivals in Koenji — surely reason enough to check it out.
There will be a kaleidoscope of separate events but these are ones you shouldn’t miss:
- Live Pro-Wrestling: That’s right. There will be a special ring set up on the north side of Koenji Station to watch wrestlers — women and men — battle. Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- GuruMyu: Live music and DJ events will happen throughout Koenji and Shin-Koenji. No entry fee but one drink order required. Line-up here.
- Awaodori, samba, and wadaiko: Along Koenji Look Shopping Street (just beyond the main PAL Shopping Street), there will be many performances on both days. On Saturday: Samba at 3 p.m. and awaodori at 3:30 p.m. On Sunday: Yokai Night Parade and wadaiko drumming at 3:30 p.m.
- Awaodori along PAL Shopping Street on Sunday from 1:30 p.m.
- Koenji Beer Festival at Koenji Apartment on Saturday.
- and a curry battle across Suginami-ku.
Official site ⚠️ Link in Japanese