Summer is finally back in full swing and the Shimbashi Koichi Festival (or matsuri) returns for its 26th year. For two days, the area around Shimbashi station becomes a mass of festival stalls, event stages, and of course, people!
Intended to celebrate both summer and Shinbashi Ward, this festival is run by local merchants. You can try your hand at wearing yukata, joining the Bon Odori dances, and eating as much street food as you can handle.
The main events are the Bon Odori square and the Yukata Beauty Contest, which doesn’t feature a swimsuit round but does have an interview (hurray!).
These are a few more scheduled events you won’t want to miss:
- 15:00: Opening ceremony
- 17:00: Hawaiian Hula
- 18:00/19:15: Bon Odori dancing
- 20:00: Local bands’ “Lose the Beat” concert
- 17:30: Bon Odori dancing
- 18:00: Flamenco show
- 18:30: Yukata beauty pageant
- 19:00: Hakubi Kyoto Kimono Academy Yukata Show and pageant awards ceremony
- 20:00: Bon Odori dancing and the closing ceremony