Every year during Golden Week, a Spring Grand Festival is held at Meiji Shrine (the biggest and most important shrine in Tokyo). The 5-day festival features an impressive lineup of traditional performing arts presentations—lead by masters in the field.
Main ceremonies/performance schedule includes:
- Shinto ritual ceremonies (May 2 at 10am and 2pm | May 3 at 10am [main ceremony])
- Bugaku (April 29, from 11am) – Ancient imperial court music
- Noh and Kyogen (May 2, from 11:30am) – Classical Japanese theater
- Sankyoku (May 2, from 3:30pm) – Traditional Japanese music
- Hogaku and hobu (May 3, from 11:45am) – Classical Japanese dance
- Satsuma biwa (May 3, from 2:30pm) – Japanese lute (banjo-like instrument)