Do you love contemporary art? Do you love free public transport? Well, Tokyo Art Week (AWT) has both.
In collaboration with Art Basel and sponsored by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, AWT gives you the chance to hop on and off a bus for free, visiting more than 50 special exhibitions and venues all over Tokyo. There will be galleries, museums, and event spaces participating. Admission prices vary, but you can receive discounts using the AWT Pass App.
How it works
- Download the App (Android or iPhone).
- Present the app’s screen when boarding the AWT bus outside one of the venues. There will be real-time bus tracking features.
- Hop on and off one of six bus routes and visit different exhibitions until your heart’s content.
- Use the stamp system and win a tote bag.
- Grab a drink at the special AWT Bar from 6 p.m. (free entry for app users but you need to pay for drinks).
Some venues include: Mori Art Museum, Tokyo Museum of Contemporary Art, The National Art Center, and Scai the Bathouse. A full list can be found on the app and website.
The AWT bar will only be open the four days of the event from 6 p.m. The address is WALL青山店 5-4-30 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku.Organizers may cancel events, alter schedules, or change admission requirements without notice. Always check official sites before heading to an event.