Fast Train Japan runs inbound tourism websites Tokyo Cheapo and Japan Cheapo. Established in 2012, Tokyo Cheapo is the most popular English language website about Tokyo and one of the fastest-growing English language websites in Japan. Each month more than 1 million unique users visit our websites.
As a leading resource for inbound tourists looking for information about Tokyo, we connect information-hungry visitors with local and international businesses. Our sites also have a big influence on foreign residents in Japan. Our YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok channels have a combined reach of almost 2 million people every month.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to get into a creative and social media career.
- Photograph, film, edit, and produce reels, stories, and posts for Instagram (and TikTok)
- Work with the YouTube team to plan and shoot videos for the Tokyo Cheapo YouTube channel
- Explore Tokyo for new and interesting sights, places, and attractions
- Attend press trips
- Periodic meetings/conference calls with the social media team to plan future topics
- Camera work and reel production
- Have already created an existing social media channel (subscriber count not a factor)
- Self-motivated and can work with a high degree of autonomy
- Ideally you’re okay being in front of the camera sometimes
- Already have a visa/permit to work in Japan
Who would this position suit?
This position would really suit a creative who loves exploring Tokyo/Japan and is happy interacting with locals.
Perks & Career Progression
There will be opportunities throughout the year for sponsored trips and activities around Tokyo and Japan. Examples of past trips include Okinawa, Yamaguchi, and Hiroshima. On these trips, writers have enjoyed activities such as local food and culture tours, hiking, brewery tours, cave explorations, kayaking, and more! There’s potential for this role to evolve into more hours / full-time in 2024.