The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, known simply as “Tochō” in Japan, is Tokyo’s city hall — the center of government for the capital’s 23 wards. In addition to being a famous work of architecture, the building has amazing views from its FREE 45th-floor observation decks. It is no exaggeration to say that you haven’t really seen Tokyo if you haven’t seen it from here.
On a clear day you can see as far as Yokohama in one direction, Chiba in another and, way out west, Mount Fuji. Truly, the full extent of Tokyo’s urban sprawl can only be appreciated from up high.
The observation decks are in both north and south towers of the main building and offer slightly different views. Cheapo refreshments are available at cafes in both, but the north tower’s observatory becomes a bar in the evening. Last orders are at 10:00pm.
Clearer views are available in autumn and winter due to cooler atmospheric conditions, and possibly the best view of all is available on January 1st.
Tokyo’s other famous viewpoint, Skytree, may be considerably taller, but its expensive entrance fee is incomparable to Tochō’s: absolutely free.
See our full guide for more free views of Tokyo.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building: Regular closures
The observatories close for the holidays between December 29th and January 3rd, but open on Jan 1st to welcome in the New Year. Due to the holiday period, a lack of traffic and factory pollution in Tokyo results in spectacular views of Mount Fuji.
- South Observation Deck: Closed first and and third Tuesday of every month
- North Observation Deck: Closed second and fourth Monday of every month
Nearby places and attractions
- 101 Cheap and Free Things to Do in Tokyo
- 10 個玩轉新宿的免費景點
- Top Spots for Sunrise and Sunset Viewing in Tokyo
- Tokyo Architecture: The 9 Best Buildings in the Capital
- Top Things to Do in Shinjuku
- Grutto Pass: The Ultimate Cheapo Deal for Museum Enthusiasts
- Tokyo: Free 7 Days a Week
- Best Free Viewpoints In Tokyo
- Tokyo Date Spots for Your Tinder Darling
- Diamond Fuji: A Natural Gem Worth Beholding
- 72 m from Tochōmae Station
- 0.5 km from Nishi-shinjuku Station
- 0.6 km from Shinjuku-nishiguchi Station