Every year, the closing of the rainy season marks the opening of Tokyo’s famous “end-of-summer” bargain sales—which, despite the name, happen before summer has even reached its peak. The Tokyo summer sales are a clever ploy to lure shoppers out from under their home air conditioners for a chance to score savings of around 30-50% on fashion and all sorts of other stuff, and a way for shops to clear their inventory.
One thing to be aware of is that most retailers don’t like to make much noise about their summer sale dates. While many of the listings below state a mid-July closing (or no closing), many of them start right up again with a “Summer Sale Part 2”. Also, as usual there are always lots of “Up to XX off” and other not-so-subtle ways to convince you you’re getting a better deal than you think.
Here’s when and where to go bargain-hunting in summer 2019!
Pro tip: Online stores like Zozotown also have sales and you can pick up bargains all year round.
- Store-wide clearance sale from Friday, June 28th
- Special Brand Bazaar from Wednesday, July 10th to Thursday, July 11th
- Clearance sale for selected brands from Friday, July 12th to Monday, July 15th
- Marronnier Gate Building 1 + 2 & 3 – Marronnier The Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Sunday, July 28th
- Daimaru – Clearance Sale | From Friday, June 28th
- While most items will go on sale from June 28h, the dates vary for others. Most will be on sale as long as supplies last.
- Matsuya Ginza – Clearance Sale | From Friday, June 28th
- As in the case of Daimaru, the starting date varies per brand.
- Hibiya Chanter – The Chanter Bazaar | From Friday, July 5th to Monday, July 15th
- Tokyu Plaza Ginza – Tokyu Plaza The Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Monday, July 15th
- Tokyo Midtown Hibiya – Summer Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Sunday, July 21st
- Ginza Six – Summer Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Sunday, July 21st
- Coredo Nihonbashi and Coredo Muromachi – Clearance Sale | From Thursday, July 12 to Wednesday, July 31
- Keio Shinjuku – Keio Big Bargain | From Friday, June 28th
- Isetan – Summer Clearance Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Wednesday, July 24th
- Takashimaya – From Friday, June 28th
- Mylord – Last Chance Sale | From Saturday, July 6th to Wednesday, July 31st
- Odakyu – From Friday, June 28th
- Lumine – Lumine the Bargain | From Thursday, July 25th
- This applies not only to Shinjuku’s multiple Lumine branches, but also to the others in Ikebukuro, Tachikawa, Shibuya, Kita-Senju, Yurakucho, and more.
- Seibu Ikebukuro – From Friday, June 28th
- Parco Ikebukuro – Grand Bazaar (“Granba”) | From Thursday, July 4th to Monday, July 15th
- Other Parco branches in Tokyo (e.g. Ueno) will also be having a Grand Bazaar for the same duration.
- Marui City Ikebukuro and Shinjuku Marui – Final Sale | From Friday, June 28th
- No, Marui shops are not closing down, despite the odd choice of name for this year’s summer sale. Other Marui branches in Tokyo – such as the Shibuya branch and the Ueno branch – will also be holding this sale around this time. The ending date varies per brand.
- Tobu Ikebukuro – From Friday, June 28th
- Sunshine City – Alpa Good Bargain | From Friday, June 28th to Monday, July 15th
Shibuya and Harajuku
- Shibuya Mark City – Summer Sale | From Monday, July 1st to Tuesday, July 16th
- Shibuya 109 – Summer Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Wednesday, July 31st
- Tokyu Department Store – Summer Clearance | From Thursday, July 11th to Wednesday, July 24th
- Shibuya Hikarie ShinQs – From Friday, June 28th
- Omotesando Hills – Summer Sale | From Saturday, June 29th to Monday, July 15th
- Laforet – Laforet Grand Bazaar | From Thursday, July 25th to Monday, July 29th
- While hugely popular, this sale is short and fleeting (and incredibly crowded, too), so make the most of it while it lasts! It runs from 9:00 am-9:00 pm on the 25th, and 11:00am-9:00 pm from the 26th to the 30th.
- Roppongi Hills – Final Sale | From Saturday, July 13th to Wednesday, July 31st
- If you’re lucky, you can get a discount of 70-80% off at this sale!
- Tokyo Midtown – Tokyo Midtown Sale | From Friday, June 28th to Sunday, July 21st
- Get discounts of up to 50% off at this summer sale.
- Tokyo Solamachi – Summer Sky Bargain | From Friday, July 12th to Wednesday, July 31st
- Matsuzakaya Ueno – Clearance Sale | From Friday, June 28th
These shopping malls in the Odaiba area—all within walking distance of one another and near Tokyo Teleport Station and Daiba Station—are holding an “Odaibargain” sale from Monday, July 1st to Monday, July 15th.
- Venus Fort – Up to 80% off
- Aqua City – Up to 70% off
- DECKS Tokyo Beach – Up to 90% off
- Diver City Tokyo Plaza – Up to 70% off
The Chain Gang
Although a lot of the summer sales going on in Tokyo involve big chains, they tend to ignore what is going on around them. They also seem to be a lot cagier about revealing the exact start and end-of-sale periods. Based on previous years, here’s what we can tell you. (Don’t forget to check out their online stores as well; they usually have sales around the same time as the physical stores.)
- Gap (online store) – Usually throughout July
- H&M (online store)- Usually throughout July
- Zara (online store) – Throughout July
- Uniqlo (online store) – Throughout July
- GU (online sale) – Usually until mid-July
And for year-round deals, check out our Tokyo outlet mall guide.
|Name:||Places mentioned in this article:|
|Location(s):||Akasaka, Azabu Juban, Chiba, Ginza, Harajuku, Nihonbashi, Odaiba, Omotesando, Roppongi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Tachikawa, Yoyogi, Yurakucho,|
|Show All Locations Mentioned|
Eating on a budget? We checked out some of Tokyo's cheapest fast food options—and they didn't disappoint!
Recommended hotels located nearby
Ariake, from ¥18,500
Shinagawa, from ¥6,050
Hamamatsucho, from ¥9,333
Hamamatsucho, from ¥16,530